Sunday 17 August 2008

Gluten Free Shortbread

I made these as a Birthday present for someone at work, having always had nice compliments from her about my baking I thought I should make something she would actually be able to eat!
The recipe was actually pretty easy, the mix may seem too sticky to you but it needs to be to hold the little cookies together so try not to be tempted into adding more flour, just stick the dough in the fridge and all will be well.

Basic Recipe adapted from here....

Ingredients

1/2 cup cornstarch/cornflour

1/2 cup icing sugar

1 cup rice flour

3/4 cup (170g) butter, chilled and diced

Method

1. Preheat Oven to 150C, 300F

2. Sift cornflour, rice flour and icing sugar together into a large bowl

3. Add chilled, diced butter and rub in to dry mix using fingertips

4. Bring dough together and refrigerate for 1 hour. NB - As I was making 4 different kinds of shortbread I split my dough into 4. To one I added grated orange zest, the second cinnamon, and the third and fourth I left plain. Before chilling I rolled each quarter into a 2" sausage so I could just slice them into cookies after an hour.

5. Remove from fridge and slice into 24 cookies, place on greased baking trays, pricking or scoring the tops with a fork. NB - To the ones I had left plain I added demerara sugar to the top of half and vanilla sugar to the remaining 6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, be careful not to overbake as they will crumble rather than crunch.

No comments: