Thursday 21 August 2008

BROWNIES!!!

ahhhh sweet chocolate brownies...joyous gooey chocolatey yumminess!

I love brownies, they are the purest form of cakey goodness to me. I don't make them very much as I rather over did it at university when I found cake making a wonderful distraction from essay writing....I like to think the science degree has aided my baking, it is a science after all isn't it?

The brownie recipe I used to use was one that I had mis-read from the back of a bag of chocolate drops, the brownies were amazing but I then realised I'd read the recipe wrong. What followed was a series of George's Marvelous Medicine style experiments as I tried to work out what exactly it was I had made, and at last I figured it out.

Unfortunately when I upgraded from a gas oven to fan-electric the timings and temperatures were not appropriate, and not wishing to waste vast amounts of chocolate in a fresh round of experiments I thought I'd try out a new recipe from Joy of Baking.

Intending to take these into work I have decided to make them into cupcakes as well as bars, so I can ice some...

**UPDATE** though alright, I guess, as brownies go, for those who have not tasted my made up version these would do...but they were not as yummy, in my humble opinion, as my ones...the recipe for which I shall do a post of tres soon...


Ingredients
680g dark chocolate
226g butter
6 large eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Method
1. Preheat oven to 176C/350F...as mine is crazy hot I put mine at 155C
2. Grease and paper a 9x13" brownie tin, or place 24 cupcake cases in 2 cupcake tins
3. Melt the chocolate and butter in a stainless steel bowl over a pan over simmering water, set aside
4. Whisk together the eggs and sugar in a large bowl
5. Fold in the chocolate and add the vanilla extract
6. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt
7. Fold this into the chocolate/sugar mix
8. Pour the mixture into the prepared brownie tin or cupcake cases
9. Bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh the classic brownie....my good friend for many a year.

I remember the days when these were an almost weekly occurance.

I remember my early attempts at re-creating your recipe...ahem!

Bring back the brownie!!!!

That is my political and emotional stance on the matter. So there.