Thursday 26 February 2009

flourless poppy seed cake

there comes a time when even I can no longer stand to see the glum look on the gluten-free people on my floor at work when I take in my baked treats, and so when I stumbled across this little number on Chocolate & Zucchini I knew it had to be made. I love poppy seeds, love love love them, their flvour is so divine and this cake is ram-packed full of them, giving it a that wonderful nutty taste with every bite.
I have an odd relationship with almonds, I can not stand the taste of them, but I have been using them increasingly in my baking and find that I do like the flavour when it is not simply a block of marzipan (triple yuk). This recipe calls for Almond Butter, which blew my mind, what was this, where do I get it? A quick google later and I discovered to my glee that it is easy-peasy to make, all you need are some whole almonds. A simple toasting in the oven, then blitz them up in a food processor for a fair old while until the oil is released and the butter forms! I added a dribble of veg oil when I could see a slight gooeyness and this brought it all together into a buttery paste ball thing, success! And think of the possibilities! Cashew Butter, Pecan Butter...amazing!
Ingredients
60g butter, room temp
60g almond butter
125g soft light brown sugar
zest of one orange, finely grated
4 eggs, separated
100g ground almonds
160g poppy seeds
pinch of salt
1tsp baking powder
Method
1. Preheat oven to 180C and grease an 8" round cake pan
2. In a stand mixer bowl combine the butter and almond butter with 100g of the sugar and the orange zest; Cream for 2 minutes
3. Add the egg yolks and mix again until fluffy
4. In a medium bowl combine the ground almond and the poppy seeds, set aside
5. In another bowl combine the egg whites with the salt and baking powder. Beat until fluffy then add the remaining 25g of sugar, and beat again until the egg whites are nice and glossy (the old hold the bowl over your head trick stage of thickness -stiff but not dry)
6. Fold 1/3rd of the whites into the butter batter - working with a very light hand - then fold in half the poppy seed mix. Repeat with another 3rd of the egg whites, and the last half of the poppy seeds, and finally the rest of the egg whites. All the time working lightly so as to combine the ingredients but not to knock the air out of rht egg whites.
7. Pour into the prepated cake pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown, mine took 25 mins but my oven is quite hot. Turn the oven off and leave the cake inside for a further 10 minutes.
8. Remove and leave to cool for another 10 minutes, then loosen and unmold from the pan, leaving to cool completetly before glazing*
*the glaze - which I forgot to do...whoops:
30g icing sugar
2tsp fresh organe juice
-mix and pour over the cake, leave to set.
I think it is a good idea to glaze as the cake does get a bit drier the following day...so next time I will endeavour to remember...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah almond butter! Sarah used to have that in the office, she used it instead of peanut butter. I beleive Taj stocks various nut butters if you don't have time to make your own
Helen x