Sunday 8 February 2009

dense chocolate loaf cake

erm, yum? correct. having spent the evening at a friends watching her make this, I then immediatley commenced to bang* about in my kitchen at 11pm on my return home to create my own. This page has been bookmarked in How To Be A Domestic Goddess since its purchase and now was the time for my dreams to become reality, and what a glorious chocolatey gooey reality it is indeed.
*why oh why are kitchen cupboards designed to make it impossible to retrieve any item from said cupboard without having to remove the ENTIRE contents each time? And I always think no, no I do not need to take out every saucepan, gridlepan and fryingpan to extract one solitary loaf tin....this thinking almost always leads to the meeting of my toes and a delightfully heavy le cruset pan lid. darn, and double darn.
Anyhoo, the cake!
Ingredients
200g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
100g dark chocolate (high % cocoa), melted & cooled
375g dark muscovado sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
225g butter, room temperature
250ml boiling water
Method
1. Preheat your oven to 190C, grease and line a 9x5x3in loaf tin
2. In a large bowl using a hand whisk (my kitchenaid would put too much air in the batter), cream the butter and sugar
3. Add in the eggs and vanilla, beating well
4. Fold in the melted chocolate using a spatual, mix well but do not overbeat
5. Add the flour & bicarb, spoon by spoon, alternately with the water - mixing gently until you have a smooth and fairly liquid batter
6. Pour the batter into the prepped loaf tin and bake for 30 minutes
7. After this time turn down the oven temp to 170C and bake for another 15 minutes
8. Remove and allow to cool in the tin on a rack

No comments: