Tuesday 18 January 2011

lemon wreath cookies - or - ciambelle


Discovered on my usual trawl through Martha's Cookie of the Day ... these are absolutley lovely lemony doughnut shaped cookies of joy.
The recipe is exceedingly simple, I made it up whilst some pasta was bubbling away next to me on the stove.

Ingredients
3 cups plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2/3 cup granulated sugar
zest of one large (unwaxed) lemon
8 oz (226g) butter, room temp (or zapped in the microwave for 15 seconds if you are an impromptu baker like me and are not one to have butter just sitting on the side...
3 large eggs - I used medium and they taste fine to me!
1 tsp vanilla extract - I could not find mine, whoops
1 tsp lemon juice
3 cups icing sugar
lemon juice
sprinkles
Method
Preheat your oven to 175C or 350F, line baking trays with greaseproof paper
Zest your lemon and then juice it (removing pips...no one wants a pippy suprise in their cookie)
Whizz up the granulated sugar and the lemon zest in a small food processor to combine...I am sure you could skip this bit or just do it with your cake mixer...
Cream together the butter and the lemony-sugar, until pale, light and fluffy - about 2 mins

Whilst this is mixing, measure out your flour, baking powder and salt...you can sift this, or what I do is to whisk it lightly in its bowl...saving the tiresome business of cleaning a whisk...set aside

Add the eggs to the butter mix, one at a time, beating well after each addition
Add the vanilla (if you can find yours) and lemon juice

Add the flour gradually and mix well to combine....I found I had to get my hands in to get the flour mixed in nicely...but that could be just because I like sticking my hands in stuff

Take a tablespoon sized lump of the cookie dough - about a squash ball size - and roll out to a 4" sausage
Bring the ends together to make a circle and place on your baking trays

I am not sure if I made mine far too large, but I did not get 6 dozen out of the dough...but then I would have had far too many cookies to contend with!  Anyhoo, keep shaping and placing til all the dough is gone..or you have run out of baking trays

Place the trays in the centre of your oven and bake for 18mins, or until they are starting to brown on the edges and underneath...mine took only 15 mins, but my oven is crazy hot

Remove from the oven and cool on racks whilst you make your glaze

In a bowl, add your 3 cups of icing sugar, then gradually add and mix in your lemon juice until you have a thick, but dippable consistency.  Martha's recipe calls for 4 lemons! 4!  I used one and had plenty, you could use more, or you could use water if its too thick and you don't want to use up lemons.  I have enough glaze left over for 5 lemon drizzle cakes, so I think 1 might just be enough

Once cooled, take your cookie, hold it betwixt thumb and finger upside down, and dunk the top into the icing glaze.  Place back on your cooling rack - which you will have cleverly placed over the paper you used to bake the cookies on to catch any drips...you threw it away?  oh dear, well next time

Complete the dunking of the cookies, then sprinkle with your chosen sprinkles!

Consume happliy and/or share with lucky friends


No comments: