Doughnuts - makes about 30 mini ones
300g plain flour
125g caster sugar
1tbsp baking powder
30g butter - melted
1/2 cup (4 floz) milk
1 egg - beaten
lots of oil for frying
cinnamon & caster sugar mixed and in a shallow dish, to toss the doughnuts in - optional, but nice!
1. Heat oil in a deepish very thick frying pan, or deep fryer to 375F/180C...I do not have a thermometer, so I just let it heat up and did a test blob of dough...
2. Sift the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and spices into a large bowl
3. Mix in the melted butter with a knife, then add the milk and egg, stir in again
4. Using floured hands, knead the dough lightly - you may need to add more flour, just add a bit at a time until you are happy that the dough is not too sticky
5. Turn out onto a well floured surface and pat to a 1/4 inch thickness
6. Cut out using a floured cutter, or piping nozzle!
7. VERY carefully drop the doughnuts into the hot oil, a few at a time, and fry - turning once - for about 3 minutes or until golden brown
8. Toss in the cinnamon sugar and place on kitchen roll to drain